Monday, February 2, 2009

January Expenses

So I had a very expensive January.

Expenses for the month of January were a total of $4,174, comprising of:
Homewares: $1,031.31
Rent: $679.95
Clothing etc: $428.53
Entertainment: $365.51
Medical: $365.19
Food: $316.28
Bank fees + interest: $265.59
Stationary + Printing: $228.54
Travel: $193.39
Presents: $113.50
Household: $81.06
Miscellaneous: $55.16
Mobile Phone: $50.00

Some notes:

Homewares: Homewares obviously was the main one, and included furniture. Should be nil for February.

Rent: My rent is $220 per week, before I moved in I had paid 2 weeks in advance (first 2 weeks of January) so it will increase in February.

Clothing: Must cut down! I went to an outlet mall (DFO to Australian readers!) with a friend and bought some shoes. I have tiny feet and it is very hard for me to find shoes that fit, but obviously I can't be spending this amount of money. Also bought a couple of things for work.

Entertainment: Includes dining out with friends, movies, concert tickets, books, magazines, DVDs etc. This month it included a farewell dinner with friends in Queensland before I moved, a ticket to see Dylan Moran (who I love and is comnig to Sydney in April/May), and a few other items. Will be less in February.

Medical: Includes prescriptions, over the counter medicine, private health cover and for January a pair of prescription sunglasses ($85 after my health fund paid some). I have recently reduced my health cover (my level was quite excessive considering my age), so this will drop.

Food: includes groceries and snacks (not included in entertainment which I leave for dining with friends). I spent too much on fast food, partly because for one week of the month I was out of town. Aim to reduce this to less than $200 for February.

Bank fees + interest: $249.69 was interest on my debts! Say it with me: Credit card debt is evil!

Stationary + printing: I am studying two postgraduate degrees so spend a lot on photocopying and printing. It was higher this month because of some extra research work I was doing which I will be paid back for.

Travel: Included pre-paid bus tickets, one air fare, petrol when I drove interstate with my brother (because of moving), and one taxi fare. Will be less in February.

Presents: A 2nd Dylan Moran ticket for my brother's birthday.

Household: Things like cleaning supplies. Didn't bring any with me when I moved, but have now stocked up.

Miscelleaneous: Whatever I couldn't be bothered further categorising!

Mobile phone: Is basically a set $50 per month.